This blog entry was guest written by Ashley Moreno, Marketing Analyst.
Conversion rates and other metrics help make measuring the effects of UGC on retail Web sites fairly intuitive. With our latest case study, we hoped to better understand the effects of Bazaarvoice Ratings & Reviews on non-retail sites, where proving ROI can seem more difficult. Specifically, we hoped to grasp how Ratings and Reviews affect consumer interest during the research phase of the buying cycle. Cars.com, a content-heavy site that provides easy to understand information to some 10 million car shoppers a month, served as a great test case.
While Cars.com does not sell anything on their site directly, they do provide consumers information to make well-informed buying decisions, and they display vehicle ads from dealers and private sellers across the country. To determine how the addition of Ratings and Reviews affected their consumer base, we looked at various intent-to-buy metrics, including:
- Number of page views for lead-related “Thank You” pages
- Click-through rates to dealer maps from inventory pages
- Click rates to the “Finance and Loan” calculator from inventory pages
Inventory pages with reviews out-performed those without in each of these ready-to-purchase metrics:
- Reviews improved lead conversion by 16%
- Reviews doubled the click-through to dealer maps
- Reviews increased visitors seeking financing options using the calculator by 45%
This illustrates that even businesses without sales on their site can examine other metrics to better understand how user-generated content affects later buying decisions, community, and consumer loyalty. Take a minute to read the full case study.